October 18, 2012 by Decorum DIYer
Man, these post titles are killer. I feel obligated to come up with something witty, (“I feel witty, oh so witty, I feel witty, and silly, and gay!” – sorry, went off on a tangent there), but usually draw a blank. So, you will just need to settle for the best I could do for a ‘toile’-covered ceiling fan project. Okay, when I was sprucing up the old laundry room to make it Claire’s toddler room, I hadn’t planned upon replacing the ceiling fan. Well, not quite. I did plan to spray paint the metallic bits and paint the blades. That was it, end of story, maybe a $5.00 investment. But no, I saw it on Craigslist and had to have it!
For $50.00 and from a seller in my neighborhood, it was perfect. A better scale for the room and certainly more feminine than this beast:
But yes, you saw it, didn’t you? Is was PINK. And not just pink, but
Well, I had a plan. I turned the blades over to the ‘only pink’ (not flowery pink) side and painted them the same color as Claire’s ceiling, Behr’s ‘Celery Ice’. It is a subtle contrast to the white, metallic frame of the fan, but noticeable. So, this is what I was left with:
What’s a girl to do? Well, a girl that doesn’t like pink, anyway. Since I was already into the fan for $50.00, which was an expense I hadn’t planned, just an impulse, I needed a cheap solution. I searched Craigslist for a few days for chandelier shades, but didn’t like the style, price, nor color, so that left me to resort to what I know best – painting. I got out my trusty primer and went to town.
Can you guess what was next? That’s right, some of my now infamous extra Central Park Toile sage fabric. If it didn’t work, no biggie. I could give it a try, because hey, it’s free! So, I traced the lampshade, leaving about one half-inch margin on top and bottom. I made sure that the pattern lined up as best as possible.
Here is how I traced the lampshade onto the fabric:
1. Simply layout your fabric, pattern side down, place the lampshade on its side, seam down.
2. Roll the lampshade from one side of the fabric to the other whilst tracing the top and bottom (you will need to go slowly and trace a little at the top, a little at the bottom, and repeat several times).
3. Stop tracing once you have returned the seam face down again. Your trace marks should resemble a squared-off smile.
4. Simply add the one to two-inch border (the fabric that will fold over the edge and slightly into the interior of the shade).
5. Cut out your shape.
I used fabric glue and carefully adhered the fabric to the shade. I think priming the shade (outside only) mostly prevented the pink color from shining through. I did have concern about the fabric glue not holding, or melting, next to the heat of the light bulbs, but my fears have so far been unfounded. Here is the lampshade after I adhered the fabric and rolled down (or up, depending how you are looking at the shade) the edges into the interior of the shade.
Really, there wasn’t much else to it. I reattached the lampshades to the bulbs, after the glue had dried. There is still a bit of pink glowing through, but nothing like the original lampshade color.
And then, there are these little puppies that mocked me every time I entered the room. So, I wasn’t done, not quite yet.
Seriously, this was the easiest and cheapest ceiling fan update I have ever done. After purchasing the fan, all of the other items were things I already owned. I am really happy that I decided to change out the ceiling fan. Well, I decided, my husband did the hard labour. So, there you have it, another quick fix that makes the laundry room one step closer to Claire’s finished toddler room.
Until next time…, happy Craigslisting and painting!