July 11, 2013 by Decorum DIYer
Happy, Thursday, all!
I’ve been so busy! Trying to paint anything in my home, especially a bedroom that is used daily, is an almost impossible task.
Three kids, a husband that is hardly home (and when he is he wants to sleep in his bed, of course) means that I must steal every little moment I have to get ‘just one more thing’ done in my master bedroom.
So, here is my sad, little progress….
1. I’m going for the gold on the door. I reworked my design and am forging ahead. Green light from the Mr. and all! I am still not done, but here is my progress thus far….
2. I’ve always wanted wall-to-wall drapes behind my bed, but really can’t convince my wallet and my husband that we need new window treatments. So, I stole two drapes from the non-bed window, flipped my grommet-topped drapes (would you believe the hem was an open pocket already? -score one for this non-sewer), extended the rods, and voila! (If I had my way, they would be a shiny, luscious, aubergine, but you probably already guessed that.)
Should I leave the curtains hung at this height or take them all the way to ceiling?
(Keep in mind, this would mean bugging the mister for drilling more holes, patching the previous holes, adding two additional brackets near the walls/edges, etc….)
The problem with the problem?:
At the current height, I am left with this-
The drapes are hidden by the bed and both nightstands. Also, I sort of like that the grommets act as weights to keep the curtains in place. Second bonus, no dust bunnies and cat hair gathering at the bottom edge!
3. To further address the window treatment situation, I decided to discontinue my neighbor’s free pass into my master bedroom. I love opening the drapes during the day for natural sunlight and really love opening my windows at night even more. So, I used some leftover window film and started this project….
4. As much as I would love to have dark, bamboo, roman shades (outside mounted), they are not in the budget. As my husband says, (and I agree), “It is a want, NOT a need”.
So, back to frugal freebies it is.
Here are my temporary plans for my version of roman shades:
No sewing, just a regular stapler and a staple gun for mounting. I may add some ribbon on the non-bed window faux, roman shade in a greek key pattern. Orange, aubergine, or black, maybe?
5. But, the above does not address our energy inefficient windows, nor does the above provide room-darkening capabilities for the non-bed window.
Using what I have, I went in this direction:
But, they now look a little prettier:
6. Again, the no-budget, use-what-you-have mentality, is spawning this for the closet/bathroom doors:
7. The best progress of all?
I PAINTED ALL OF MY TRIM!!!!
I’m still contemplating the ceiling. I am really still craving the deep aubergine, but I may need to go in the direction of an over-sized, painted medallion, rather than a large, ceiling square of aubergine.
I am also still racking my brain for a solution for the ceiling fan light. I want to paint the blades, but I’m not sure what to do with the ever present ‘boob’ light. (Hehe, I said boob.) Again, I know what I want, but what I want isn’t free, nor insanely cheap. (grrrrr)
Lastly, I’m hounding the owner of these mirrors via Craigslist for above each nightstand.
Aren’t they perfect? Can you tell that I am trying to introduce more rounded shapes into the boudoir (wait, that isn’t quite what I meant to say).
It is a text/call only only – no e-mail. I have called and left several messages to no avail. I finally broke down and sent a text.
I. NEVER. TEXT.
I have an archaic, non-smart phone (circa 2009) and texting takes forever. I did get a response, but it is not helpful and contained pound signs (I refuse to refer to them as ‘hatch’ or ‘hash’ tags [the pronunciation is highly dependent upon with whom you
I guess this guy isn’t in any hurry to sell. He does have other items for sale, from what I gather.
So, that’s me.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
Free ideas, of course, are the most likely to be employed.
P.S. I made no attempt to proof-read this. Part laziness, part no time at all. So, this was pretty much a brain spill…., enjoy or be secretly annoyed, my dear grammar-loving friends.
Have a great day!