October 16, 2012 by Decorum DIYer
Imagine one Mom’s surprise when she returned from a five and one half month stay in Greece and found that this:
HAD BEEN TURNED INTO THIS…
Clearly, this was a case of ‘renovate and run’! Not quite.
My friend, Nitsa, lovingly conspired with her husband, Steve, and orchestrated the entire renovation whilst her parents were in Greece visiting friends and family. All the while, Nitsa’s parents were fixing up a home in Greece for Nitsa and Steve and their five children! Surprise renovation must run in the family! 🙂
Nitsa’s parents knew that Nitsa and Steve would be poking around the then laundry area (or ‘dungeon’ as Nitsa called it) in the basement to replace a worn-out utility sink. But, Nitsa’s parents had no idea what was in store for their return from Greece. Nitsa had chosen every detail in advance and even called in a contractor to do all of the heavy-duty stuff. Everything about the renovation is brand new from the walls, to the flooring, to the appliances, to the cabinets and countertop. Nitsa left no corner untouched. Every detail was chosen with love and appreciation for her parents and it shows in a big way. When asked, “Why did you do this for your parents?”, Nitsa replied, “My parents are AWESOME! They give, give, give and I really wanted to do something nice for them.”
Again, awesome must also run in the family. Great job, Nitsa and Steve! Let’s see more of the new laundry as it is today.
Not only were Nitsa and Steve kind enough to share their surprise makeover with you and me, but they also agreed to share her sources and budget! So, if you like what you see, you can easily shop this look for your own home (or someone you want to surprise!).
Surprise Laundry Makeover Budget:
- Appliances – $3,805.00
- Materials and Labor (provided by a local company, Rexrode Remodelling) – $3,300.00 (plumbing, electrical, drywall, insulation, new doors, flooring, cabinets)
- Lighting – $70.00
- Sink – $70.00
- Decals – $30.00 (guesstimate)
- Rack – $30.00 (guesstimate)
Estimated Budget: $7,305.00
Home Depot –
- Sink backsplash
- Sink and faucet (the kind that turns on/off with a touch)
- Paint – Behr’s Newport Blue (a girl after my own heart)
- Rialto White floor tiles
- Light fixture
- Cabinets (in stock)
Cherry Works (local)
- Counter top
- Black flower decals
- Hanging rack
- Metal shelf (to the right of the counter)
- Black (chalkboard) and white (dry erase) circle decals
Congratulations, Nitsa and Steve, on a job well done! If you like what they were able to do, please consider leaving a comment on this post to let them know.
Also, do you have a renovation, decor, or diy project that you would like to share? Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information with your submission:
- Before and after photos. A few progress pictures for good measure, if you have them. (Please do not send any more than ten total.)
- A list of your sources. You know, where did you get your stuff?
- Paint color brands and names (if you used paint).
- A general budget breakdown, if you don’t mind.
- Any other important information that you may feel necessary to include.
I look forward to receiving submissions and sharing. What? You don’t have a space to share? Do you need some inspiration? Well, I am still taking ‘Moodboard Monday’ requests. Here are the moodboards featured thus far:
Don’t be shy, give it a try!
Until next time…, happy